The Former Provost Of NIJ, Gbemiga Ogunleye ~The Man Who Sees Beyond Tomorrow





 "Are you the class governor of your class?" Mr. Gbemiga Ogunleye asked. 

I was addressed this way, the first day I met the former provost of Nigerian Institute Of Journalism and I smiled.


Three weeks later, I contested for the position of governor among other interested colleagues of mine and I won. 


On a good Friday afternoon, April 12, 2019, precisely, I met the former provost at the school gate while coming from Area G central mosque and he addressed me with "where is Ameer coming from?"  


Not less than two months, The Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos unit elected me as the Ameer of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism!


Moreover, when the Students' Representative Council, which I am one of the members, held a meeting at the former provost's office, he asked me, "are you an Alhaji?" I smiled.


I have the belief that I will become an Alhaji very soon because whenever my provost pronounces positive wishes, they always come to pass because he never speaks without divine inspiration.


Well, that is the testimony, however, for another day. 

Today, I have picked my pen to write words of appreciation for the fatherly roles he has played in every student's life as a provost in the Nigerian Institute of Journalism.  


Sir, despite the fact that your period as the provost of NIJ was short, you and your posterity will never be forgotten for the positive impact you left behind. 


Mr. Gbenga Ogunleye! Your short tenure as the provost of NIJ will not be a regrettable one to students that have highly philosophical and logical thinking minds as you left with a legacy of integrity and time consciousness which most journalists lack today. 


Sir, no one will dispute the fact that the well-equipped radio and television studios and the hygienic ambiance of the school came into being during your administration but I pray that may the new provost's, Mr. Gbenga Adefaye, administration be more prosperous than yours. 


I do remember that your birthday at 60 years was commemorated with a book written by you: "THE EDITOR'S FRONT ROW VIEWS" which has shown us (students) how energetic and diligent you are in the profession of journalism. 


Your ways are worth emulating! I pray that I become an author like you in the nearest future while still practicing journalism. 


So, on behalf of the students, I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors as you move ahead to explore more in the world of journalism.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Meet Journalist That Rejects Millions of Naira Offer For Integrity

COVID-19: Couple Wed Beneath The Sea To Avoid Social Gathering Of Well-wishers

Davido Pays A Surprise Visit To MC Oluomo ~See Details